Marine Collagen vs. Bovine Collagen: Which is the Best Choice?
I used to drink protein shakes like it was my religion.
NON-essential, right? How important could they possibly be?
Most people don't get nearly enough of this non-essential protein, and if you keep reading you'll learn why you need to be taking it, and what the best source is.
And if you've ever asked yourself: "do collagen supplements really work?", this article is for you.
The Health Benefits of Collagen Protein Powder
It’s found in ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and skin, but collagen is also found in blood vessels, muscle, the gut, and in your teeth
Most people associate protein with athletes and weightlifters. People who need more protein to support muscle growth and recovery. Even non-athletes can benefit from collagen, especially since collagen production naturally declines with age.
Unless you eat a bunch of connective tissue, organ meats, hooves or hides every week, you're not getting a ton of collagen in your diet.
In fact, one study from the Journal of Nutrition revealed that hydrolyzed gelatin (essentially the "cooked" form of collagen), was absorbed intact and shown to accumulate in cartilage and connective tissue over time -- that is huge!
Beef Collagen Health Benefits
The main indicator of absorption wasn’t the source of the collagen. It was that hydrolyzed collagen -- no matter the source -- is highly bioavailable and almost entirely absorbed into the bloodstream.
So, Which Collagen is Better, Fish or Beef?
Click around the internet for a while, you'll see some fierce debates about this question. The reality is that the evidence is clear: hydrolyzed collagen powder is the best option, no matter the source.
If you are sensitive to beef proteins, fish collagen would be the better option. Otherwise, if you're sensitive or allergic to shellfish, then bovine collagen would be the best choice.
At the end of the day...
- Beef (bovine) collagen supplements are mostly derived from the bones, cartilage, or hides of cows.
- Fish (marine) collagen comes from leftover skin and scales from fish and or shellfish.
- When shopping for collagen supplements choose a “hydrolyzed” product to ensure optimal absorption.
- Bovine collagen is highly absorbed and reasonably priced. Make sure it is grass-fed, rBGH-free, organic, with no artificial sweeteners or preservatives.
- Look for high-quality supplements that contain both collagen protein powder and whey protein powder to get all your essential and nonessential proteins in one convenient source.
Skin RepairX Collagen Drink by Skin DrinX